Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

A Second Wind?

I've been thinking about Jason Todd. Specifically why I'm so "meh" about his resurrection, especially in contrast with Marvel counterpart Bucky. I was really excited by his initial pre-OYL unveiling as the Red Hood, but ever since, I've found him somewhat disappointing.

I liked the initial idea of Jason-as-Red-Hood because it seemed like they were going beyond a simple raving villain antagonist, to someone very ends-justifies-the-means. I've always found that sort of villain interesting. The ones with the goals that may not be all that bad. "Clean up the streets", or the Glasses-Man from Heroes's single minded protectiveness over his daughter. Of course, the fun is that they still go to questionable and extreme methods to get what they want.

I thought it'd be interesting in particular to have a character like that tied so closely with the Batclan. Batman would never be able to ignore the Red Hood's actions now that he knows the truth and it'd make for some awesome interaction.

Unfortunately, OYL, I kind of felt like the potential fell a bit short.

Especially since Jason didn't really seem the same in any book he was in. Though I suppose ignoring Bruce Jones's Nightwing is probably the best notion in general there. Creative ideas, I suppose, but a very poor fit for the series/characters in question.

The Red Hood as written by Winick is still pretty interesting. But he seems a lot more cartoony as a villain to me now. I suppose I was hoping he'd end up a bit more "amoral" rather than "immoral" if that makes sense.

Actually my favorite Jason Todd, I'm not even sure counts as Jason Todd (I've not read it in a while) but it was Nightwing in Outsiders. I'd heard rumors that the initial plan was for that Nightwing to be Jason in disguise, but the actual survival of Dick threw it through the loop. Really though, it's impossible to imagine Dick Grayson condoning the sorts of means that the Outsiders used.

However Jason Todd...makes perfect sense. I admit, sadly, I haven't read Outsiders in ages...I had to trim my pull list for financial reasons and that one, fence-sitter that it was, went pretty quick. So I don't know if he was ever revealed to be Dick or not.

It'd be cool if he isn't. That gives lots of potential for later conflict. And as far as I remember, the only guy who knew Dick beneath the mask on that team is now busy with bigger things.

I don't think Jason's a bad character right now. Certainly it wouldn't take much to make him cool. Hey. If BUCKY can be cool... :-)

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar