Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Murder at Madingley Grange: Caroline Graham

Caroline Graham is best known as the author of the Inspector Barnaby books, which were adapted for the TV series Midsomer Murders. Back in 2011 and 2012 I read all of the seven books in the series and I loved them.

Murder at Madingley Grange, published in 1990, is a standalone book, and very different from the Barnaby series, with much more humor, and not intended to be taken so seriously.


Madingley Grange is the perfect setting for a 1930s murder mystery weekend; thus Simon Hannaford plots to convince his half-sister, Laurie, to let him use their Aunt Maude's home for a money-making scheme while their aunt is away on vacation. Laurie agrees, reluctantly, and the planning  begins. Simon hires a butler and maid for the weekend, advertises for guests, and rents costumes. Felony & Mayhem, publisher of the edition I read, describes this novel as a "wonderful, hilarious satire of the country house mystery."

At first I had problems with some of the characters. Laurie is exceedingly shy and too innocent to be believed and behaves like a doormat. And I thought the humor was too over-the-top and not to my liking. But soon I was immersed in the story.

From beginning to end, this story was not at all what I thought it would be, but it turned out to be even better than expected. It was very clever mystery, where many of the characters are not what they seem. I was reminded of a Peter Dickinson style of plot, with many layers and hidden agendas and more than one twist.

To learn more about this book, see the review at Clothes in Books.


-----------------------------

Publisher:   Felony & Mayhem, 2006 (orig. pub. 1990)
Length:      275 pages
Format:      Trade paperback
Setting:      UK
Genre:       Country House Mystery
Source:      On my TBR shelf for many years.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar